Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 13:46:36 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, bpechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS and IBM

On Friday,  4 February 2000 at 20:07:15 -0700, Russell L. Carter wrote:
>> [moved to -fs]

>>> You apparently haven't noticed the war of words going on on
>>> http://daily.daemonnews.org/ on this very topic?  I think this is going
>>> to be our most "popular", or at least commented on, article to date.
>>
>> There was also a discussion in -fs, so I'm following up there.
>>
>>> Greg Lehey has downloaded the code and looked at it.  Despite my
>>> cheering and enthusiasm, he reports that we should wait until he
>>> actually produces something to pronounce him a hero.  ;^)
>>
>> Damn it, you keep mentioning my name.  I'm certainly no hero based on
>> what I've done or propose to do.  For an update, taking in what phk
>> had to say the other day: this is the OS/2 version, which has had the
>> dependencies on the VM system removed.  I consider it likely that, as
>> a result, performance will be disappointing.  Also I haven't seen any
>> documentation which explains how it works.  Given the size of the code
>> base, this would make it quite a challenge.  Maybe somebody else more
>> stupid^H^H^H^H^H^Hheroic than I wants to have a go.
>
> Look folks, is it too hard to understand that an OS/2 filesystem
> released as "Opensource" might not make any sense at all to burn up
> anybody's time,

That's not clear.  It might make sense, and I hope somebody takes a
look.

> Does it look like the IBM mamaship is finally clueing into
> marketing?
>
> Why yes it does!

There are some very good reasons to start with the OS/2 version.  It's
a lot easier to integrate into Linux, since it doesn't have all the
hooks for the IBM VM system.  The performance might still be
acceptable on Linux.  And I could be wrong, and it might even be very
good.

> Does it look like the thundering herds (hurds) are going to run this
> into another half to several megabytes a day of mindless drivel on
> the usual ramifications of a nonexistent technology on a nonexistent
> marketplace...
>
> Why yes it does!

I wouldn't call it nonexistent technology.  It's very real, as is the
marketplace.

> So get over it.  And lay off Greg.

Thanks, but I don't think anybody's picking on me.

Greg