Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 10:42:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Indentation styles

J Wunsch writes:

> The typografical rules say ~ 60 chars per line, everything else has to
> be made two-column (a bit impractical for programs :).

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I both agree and
disagree.  Yes, more than 60 chars per line become difficult to read,
but I *do* use dual columns in my programs.  There are these things
called comments which I align in a column at the right (starting at
column 50 by default).  I don't like it when too many code lines run
into the comment columns.

> Of course, if you've already got 50 columns indentation, then it
> would require a 110 chars wide display.  So it's rather a question
> of not nesting too deep.

Well, I have a 110 char display--no problem with that.  But I still
only have about 50 to play with, including indent, for the code.

> I know that stylistic issues are always religious -- but we are on
> -chat here. ;)

Why not talk religion from time to time?

Greg