Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:08:18 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   devd, crunchgen, C++, and /rescue

I'm slowly tracking down the remaining minor issues with
my all-static crunchgen-ed /rescue implementation. This
includes pretty much everything from /bin and /sbin, as
well as a few useful tools from /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.

However, I've just run into an ugly problem.

Specifically, devd is now written in C++
(as of a few weeks ago) and crunchgen does
_not_ play well with C++ programs.

For now, this means that devd will not be in
/rescue.  I'm not entirely happy about this.

Policy question:  Is C++ considered acceptable in /bin
and /sbin?  (I presume so, since Warner's doing it.)

Technical Question:  Does anyone know how to get
crunchgen to play nicely with C++ programs?  (I've
tried a couple of simple changes to the generated
makefile with no success.)

Usability Question:  How necessary is devd likely to
be for people recovering from serious disaster?
(Imagine that /usr, /bin, and /sbin are all broken.
Will some people require devd to get a network adapter
or hot-plug CD-ROM running, for example?)

Thanks for any assistance or ideas,

Tim Kientzle