Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 02:27:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

> Real Hackers never get defensive.

This needs to be in a FAQ somewhere (if it isn't already.)  Maybe
even an RFC.

   Newbie:	How am I to deal with condescending and offensive

   FAQ:		Space them.  This will probably happen fifty percent
		of the time you make an attempt to communicate,
		whether or not you are correct.  Make a spelling
		or grammar error, get your facts the slightest bit
		wrong or fail to read every conceivable piece of
		documentation remotely related to your subject and
		you _will_ evoke brutal feedback.  The single most
		important thing you need to participate is a thick
		skin.

> It's worth a try.  Tell people that they can post to either list, but
> they'll get more sympathetic treatment from auntie than they will on
> -questions.

For participants in -questions, there are expectations that a newbie
may not be ready for.  Using their mailer properly, or actually
reading the basic documentation for starters.  Perhaps a -newbies
list would provide a kinder, gentler place for a thoughtful newbie
to start.  At least when some hot head jumps all over an amateur
in -newbies, they do so knowing they are in the wrong.

I am no long time expert.  It wasn't too long ago that I sent
messages from Netscape mailers.  I learned rather quickly about
the importance of line breaks, and that others might judge me on
the contents of my headers.  If I had had a -newbies list in which
to make these initial mistakes, I may have done less damage in the
process.

> Right.  Of course, giving up FreeBSD because they think it's too hard
> might be the right choice.  Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean
> people aren't out to get you.

I have since configured sendmail with a proper hostname and to
masquerade as my ISP for proper return addresses (among other
things), and learned how to use fetchmail, mail(1), fmt and ispell.
Some of us _do_ pay attention, Greg. :)

> What do you others think?

I think you and Sue are trying to solve different problems.  Sue
wants a place where the poster has the right to not feel intimidated
while posting thoughtful questions.  You want users to read the
docs, follow the conventions and ask worthwhile questions.

I think -newbies will have a very bad signal to noise ratio, but
the noise in newbies will be noise that didn't end up somewhere
else.

  Allen Campbell
  allenc@verinet.com