Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2018 17:21:39 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: PRs are being closed for bogus reasons :-(
References:  <CAA3ZYrDE1qN36jkg6bfTuUQL-Ko01UhVa=i%2BJ7t7AfN4hdBDMQ@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfovyg61=b0-60ZD426Z=774Wxm9hJxZ=bSqReW_fD4DoA@mail.gmail.com> <1407.1527801278@critter.freebsd.dk> <DED226CC-1D10-48A7-A1A8-0021DEA727A2@gid.co.uk> <CANCZdfrG_=D466HygdFv9%2B%2BZcN26NNN%2BnvE2NH3KAQWfyRCyqw@mail.gmail.com> <D83255D1-CC26-4536-A42E-5E742941FC05@gid.co.uk> <CANCZdfp9vaNgQew4AON30em4oEUKtR8QJ6Y5=1YVtzBba-1vtA@mail.gmail.com>

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 09:09:47 -0600
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> > mail.gmail.com>

> > that state. Not pretty.
> > >
> > > Over the years I've committed dozens of PRs that had patches in them.
> > The sad truth is that only about 10-15% of them have comitable patches in
> > them when submitted. And that number decays over time as things age in
> > bugzilla. [etc]
> >
> > Sure. But the best a non-comitter can do is to supply a patch tested
> > against HEAD. If the patch rots because it hasn't been committed six months
> > down the line it's not my fault.
> >

> Well, not quite true. I've had several people send me pointers to bugs over
> the years and engage me when I tell them that the patch isn't quite right.
> That conversation is easier, to my mind, in Phabricator, though. There's no
> substitute for making good connections and motivating volunteers to want to
> help you. That gives much better results than filing and forgetting and
> hoping for the best. As a committer, I find it a low return on investment
> to go looking at random PRs. I find it a much higher return on investment
> when I have a history with someone (even a short one).
>
> Fixing this broken state of affairs is not going to be easy...

As a former committer (gj@) I find it easier to send patches to the
maintainer.  But, I've only done that with Hans Petter Selasky so
far, for some XHCI stuff.

--
Gary Jennejohn