Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:55:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reward for fixing keyboard support in FreeBSD, apply within

> 	I'm curious as to the output of lsdev from the loader.  Though
> I doubt I can help you.

I'll mail it to you tomorrow when I'm at the office.

> 	You could stick a kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd2 in rc.local or
> something similiar.  Or you could try (warning, wild guess) the
> following in the boot loader
>
> 	set hint.sc.2.at=isa
> 	set hint.sc.2.flags=0x200

Sure, I'm using the kbdcontrol hack right now. But that's hardly a solution. I
want to have FreeBSD fixed so that dirty workarounds like this are not needed.
To even install FreeBSD on this box, you need to jump through hoops:

- create a customized boot floppy without USB support
- boot the customized floppy (slow)
- install through the network
- alternatively, setup a PXE boot with a custom kernel - complicated

After installation you need to remotely login as your keyboard again won't
work because a GENERIC kernel with USB will be installed. Then you add
kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd2 to your startup files.

All this is extremely clumsy. What if FreeBSD crashes and you land in single
user mode? You're screwed, because /etc/rc.local doesn't run. So you need to
put it into your shells startup file. Clumsy. Errorprone.

So - I want this fixed once and for all. I'm sure there already are and there
will be more hardware like this and if FreeBSD wants to be a server operating
system, it needs to support new hardware, not have more clumsy workarounds.