Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:07:16 +0200
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Olivier Duchateau <olivierd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-xfce@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xfce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Meta-port for Goodies

On Wednesday, 29 June 2016, Olivier Duchateau <olivierd@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Not yet review your changes. Personally I'm against (but I'm open with
> good arguments, or wait the 4.14 release at least). FreeBSD is not a Linux
> distro (this is recurring requets).
> In the past, plugins were not well maintained (switch from 4.8 to 4.10 was
> painful).
>
> Moreover in ports tree some plugins and applications are obsolete or
> "broken":
>
> - xfce4-mixer (not anymore maintained by upstream), that's why it's
> development version in ports tree
> - xfce4-print (not anymore maintained by upstream)
> - libxfce4gui (considered obsolete by upstream), replaced by libxfce4menu
> and libxfce4utils
> - xfce4-dashboard is broken, it's Clutter's problem (even new stable
> release, 0.6.0 [1])
> - xfce4-wm-themes (not anymore maintained by upstream)
> - thunar-vfs (not anymore maintained by upstream)
> - squeeze (no update since 8 years)
> - xfce4-notification-daemon should be removed (xfce4-notifyd is the only
> notification daemon supported by upstream)
>
> Vala bindings is not in good shape (it's not your fault).
>
> xfce4-dev-tools is part of Xfce core (it is required if you want to build
> sources from git clones. It contains M4 macros for autoconf).
>
> Neverless I think for the 4.14 it will be fine, with GTK+3 migration, some
> unmaintained plugins will be removed and ports tree clean up.
>
> Note: Migration to GTK+3 is coming, the Xfce devel repo already contains
> the latest unstable releases, and it is up-to-date.
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-xfce/2016-May/001353.html

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the reply. For me, each of your comments is EXACTLY why I would
like to see this goodies port. This is where the xfce@ team can set which
options are enabled to decide which ports which be installed on most user's
desktop. Documenting the state of xfce ports is good, maintaining the
goodies port so that only the working, maintained and recommended ports are
automatically installed is even better!

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods