Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:39:08 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 02:52:26PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 03:01:24PM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > >
> > > I am not sure how much traffic such a list would generate.
> > >
> > > In terms of new lists, I suggested long ago, that the number of
> > > questions on filtering/firewalls/nat and all points east generated on -questions
> > > could easily justify it's own mailing list. Since this is clearly
> > > one of the most confusing, most ill-understood, and frankly
> > > insufficiently documented areas of FreeBSD .. and yet one of it's most
> > > important. I have twice suggested to Crist Clark he write a book on it..
> > > I think he told me he was once approached to do so. But sadly no such
> > > book exists. There are lots of bits of paper flying around the net with
> > > recipes, suggestions, partial explanations etc. But there is no-where
> > > a coherent in-depth discussion of it all.
> > >

> > I must be missing your point, since  there IS a -security list, which contains
> > those items.
>
> And there are -ipfw and -net for the things Cliff brought up.

Ah, but reading the manifesto for those 2 lists show them as discussions
of implementation, not of use.
Security list also seems to be stated as being for discussions on
encryption and generally on damage limitation, not on discussion of
preventing in-breakers.

So, there is not a list with the express manifesto of *using* firewalls.

I changed my mind about the possible need for a performance list btw.
May be it is a good idea.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>