Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:55:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing DragonFly BSD!

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> 			    Announcing DragonFly BSD!
> 			   http://www.dragonflybsd.org/

I will certainly track the progress with interest!  I will have to finish
browsing the site before forming any real opinion...  It seems you have
some very good goals, but why not just work to make FreeBSD (which I'd
think has more visibility, and hence a chance of benefitting more people)
better?  :)  I will admit, I can see how it could be easier to just start
your own project from scratch, but I can also see downsides.  Hopefully,
as others mentioned, the insight you gain can be back ported to *BSD
and/or other existing OSes as well.

>     Hello everyone!  For the last few months I have been investigating
>     and then working on a new approach to the BSD kernel.  This has snowballed
>     into a far more ambitious project which is now ready for wider
>     participation.

This is my primary concern...  If the ideas for improving the kernel, vm
system, etc. are desireable...  Why can't they be successfully implemented
in the existing codebase?  Was there significant resistance within the
project, or did the new methodologies simply encompass too much
destabalizing (at first) code change?

>     ftp.  This proving work involved implementing much of the earlier UP->SMP
>     converstion work that was done when 5.x first branched, but under an
>     entirely new mutex-free light weight kernel threading infrastructure.
>     It includes the LWKT system, interrupt threads, and pure threads for
>     system processes amoung other things.

Mmm.

>     Hopefully my T1 can handle the cvsup load.  Eventually I'll colocate
>     some boxes to deal with that issue.

I'm sure you will have no difficulty finding mirrors, should the need
arise.

Good luck,

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
To: spam-catcher@adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!