Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 2021 13:10:57 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Deprecating base system ftpd?

On Sat, 2021-04-03 at 16:39 -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> I propose deprecating the ftpd currently included in the base system
> before FreeBSD 14, and opened review D26447
> (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26447) to add a notice to the man page.
> I had originally planned to try to do this before 13.0, but it
> dropped
> off my list. FTP is not nearly as relevant now as it once was, and it
> had a security vulnerability that secteam had to address.
>
> I'm happy to make a port for it if anyone needs it. Comments?

I would find the removal of ftpd to be very inconvenient unless there
was a port/pkg to install it from.

If there is a port, it would only be useful if I could set PREFIX=/usr
when building/installing it, so that its behavior when installed as a
port/pkg would be identical to how it was when it was part of base (in
terms of where its config files are located).

-- Ian