Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:14:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        "Darrin R. Woods" <dwoods@netgazer.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND question followup..

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Darrin R. Woods wrote:

> All the websites resolv correctly from within our domain/ip range.  They
> also resolv correctly for anyone that sets their DNS on their pc/mac to one
> of ours.

But what about outside?  You have broken the first rule of forward DNS
resolution - you have both primary and secondary on your own site.  This
is a no-no, because it means that if some has a problem reaching you,
they can't even resolve your name - they just get a DNS timeout,
eventually with 'server failed' or similar error.  Do your company a
favour and get a couple of secondaries in different parts of the world;
at least such that they don't use the same Internet backbone provider as
you.  Ask on this list for secondary swaps.

> The main website that we are getting the biggest complaints on is
> "www.auctiondepottx.com" which is one of several virtual websites at
> 209.83.225.63.

Is it the busiest site on your server?

> One other user was getting complaints (with a different website) and tried
> hitting their website (www.cityofmesquite.com)  from 10 different local
> providers within a 30 minute time period.  Only one of the providers had a
> problem getting to the site, so it was hard for us to say it was our fault.

Get this person to test your reachability with ping.  Ask the failing
provider to test reachability from their nameserver to yours.

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */