Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:11:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Chern Lee <chern@meow.osd.bsdi.com>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ASCII Diagram Replacements

On 2001-07-11, Murray Stokely scribbled:

# This appears to be a problem :
#
#   "Please note: While Kivio is a GPL application, all the stencil sets
#    provided by theKompany.com, including the basic stencil shapes
#    bundled with Kivio are copywritten and owned by theKompany.com. All
#    information and images provided are copywritten and cannot be used
#    in part or in whole for any other work, including free or
#    commercial stencil sets. You are free to create your own stencil
#    sets from your own work."

I guess I didn't see that restriction :(

The one thing that I do like about Kivio (from what I have read) is that
it uses Python for scripting. I wonder how hard it is to create a
standard set of stencils...

# If this can be resolved then great, we've got another tool that can be
# used.  I think the general question that needs to be answered is how
# important is consistency?  Adam Stanislav made some nice looking
# PostScript diagrams by hand.  I actually prefer the Dia output, but
# his were still very good.  The main problem I have with his images is
# that we now must rely on him to hand craft every PostScript file in
# the handbook if we want any kind of consistency.

I guess I'm glad that the only time I have to deal with Postscript files
is when I take a PS file and convert it to PDF (of course, I do the
conversion on a Windows machine... shame on me). Is there a decent PS to
PDF converter available in the Ports collection? I don't remember seeing
one.

# A far better option would be if we can all agree that we very much
# value consistency.  If that is the case then it will mean
# standardizing on an open-source application (or set of applications,
# or simply a stencil-set to be used with any application) to draw
# network diagrams for our documentation.  From what I've seen Dia and
# Kivio are sufficiently similar that we shouldn't have to choose
# between one or the other.  We just must choose to standardize on those
# applications (and this means making new images to replaces the
# excellent ones that Adam made for the ISDN section) and not to allow
# any random .eps file that doesn't bear a strong resemblance to our
# existing diagrams.

Consistency is definitely a big point... it also shows professionalism
and it makes it easier to process the visual data in the brain.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found