Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 17:12:28 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com (Richard J Kuhns)
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   tcl -- what's going on here.

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard J Kuhns <rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com> writes:

Richard> Paul Richards writes: ...

>> From my point of view, the comments in the first paragraph above
>> apply ONLY
Richard> to those persons maintaining the source tree, not to the
Richard> people who use it.  Unless I'm the person who's doing the
Richard> work, I don't care if you use bmake, gnumake, dmake, or
Richard> something else I've never heard of to control the actual
Richard> dependency checking and recompilation; I just want to be able
Richard> to either "cd" to the appropriate directory and type "make &&
Richard> make install" or "cd /usr/src; make world".

I disagree, even as just a user of the tree the tcl port is broken since
it doesn't pay any attention to the controls that I use when building
my src tree, I listed some examples such as NOPROFILE and the obj dir..

>> This is all really nasty, there's no compelling reason for tcl to
>> be brought into the main tree,

Richard> tcl is on every system I administer; I use it extensively.
Richard> Linked with the appropriate libraries, it can greatly speed
Richard> the development of tools using those libraries.  IMHO,
Richard> bringing tcl into the main tree would encourage the growth
Richard> and development of FreeBSD.

It was easily accessible in ports.

>> This whole tcl idea is just plain wrong

Richard> Are you referring to bringing tcl into the main tree, to not
Richard> making a `bmake port' of it, or using tcl in general?  --

Specifically not bmaking it. I'm not that bothered about it being brought
into the main tree if it had been done properly.