Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:07:02 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Project FreeBSD 98

On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 04:26:11PM -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:

> The five groups shake out like so:
>
> Documentation:
>
> Public Relations:
>
> 	Product positioning
> 	Advertising
>
> Distribution ( Customer Fullfillment )
>
> Publications:
>
> 	Magazine Articles, Books, etc.
>
> Technical Support:

 Newbies:

 	Welcoming
 	Orientation
 	Learning support

It's one thing to get people using FreeBSD, but don't forget we have to be
very well prepared to deal with them when they arrive, or they'll go away
again. This is quite separate from technical support which we all need from
time to time. New users can go through a stage of feeling isolated,
embarrassed, unvalued, or just unsure of how to obtain information in a new
environment without many information gathering skills. Some of them have
good unix skills but are unfamiliar with FreeBSD and our organisation, while
some are new at everything. I'm working on some of these things but as a
newbie I'm solving my own problems at the same time. Any help on addressing
the non-support needs of newbies is welcome.

One area where many of the issues do overlap, however, is support for
installation questions. It's technical support, but it is often a new user's
first interaction with the mob and impressions formed at that stage can
influence their impression of FreeBSD a great deal. And if we're talking
about promoting FreeBSD in general, then the final stage of our job is here,
not at the CD sale.

I get the impression that installation questions are not much fun to answer.
They also have to be answered well because misinformation is dangerous at
this stage (at least in terms of losing a convert).

How well are we dealing with pre-installation and installation technical
questions? Do we need more people to help there, or are we doing fine?
Has anyone thought this through?

> This is a first draft of our structure and all are invited to work on
> perfecting it.  Volunteers are needed to get names in the various slots,
> remember that this is a democracy.

To some people, a democracy means that the strong and numerous screw the
small and timid. I don't think that's the kind you meant :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more