Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:01:48 +0100
From:      Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

--nextPart1841664.CR9iXFMSmR
From: Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org>
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:01:48 +0100

Hi Warner,

> It has also been used for almost as long to see if log files have changed
> if you set your MAIL variable to that. So not just for email...

This seems to be an example in point of a "niche" scenario, both in terms of spread of usage (even then) and the fact that it's easy to get the functionality by other means.

Again, I'm not opposing anyone from working on "relatime" if they personally have a strong need and motivation.  I'm not even asking for removing the "atime" functionality, which can have its uses.

What I'm saying is that, based on others' input so far, my own (long, even if not as long as yours) experience and some late reflection, is that "noatime" should be the default (everywhere, all mounts and all FSes), and that working on "relatime" won't make any real difference for most users (IOW, I think that developing "relatime" is a bad idea *in general*).  And I think this is a sufficiently reasonable conclusion that anyone with the same inputs would conclude the same.  So, if it's not the case, I would be interested in knowing why, ideally.

Regards.

--
Olivier Certner