Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:50:36 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

--==_Exmh_904903628P

If memory serves me right, John Prince wrote:
> Great point. And that was not what I was implying, although it appears that
> way..
> I was referencing the problems that were being reported with regards to the A
> TA
> driver, more specifically problems related to AHA and the ATAPI Interface.
> Not other problems..
> Sorry..
> And.. I am not trying to Flame. Just wanted to know why this has not been
> addressed..

John--

There's a difference between not addressing a problem and not being able
to resolve it in a reasonable time.

In this specific case, Soren wasn't able to reproduce the problem.  It's
pretty hard to come up with a fix for a problem you can't see (not
impossible, just very hard).  Soren has an extreme lack of time at the
present, and it seemed pretty clear that he wouldn't be able to fix
whatever the problem is on a timescale compatible with anything
resembling our release schedule.

Our (RE) choices were basically to back out the entire MFC of the ata(4)
system, or to ship it as is.  We opted to ship it, because backing out
the MFC would have:  1) Required yet another release candidate for
testing, 2) lost support for new hardware, and 3) lost Soren's support
(in that he indicated he could only support one "version" of the
driver).

I should also say that some of the RE team saw problems with ATA
CDROMs, and others (such as myself) didn't.

Although I'm disappointed that Soren wasn't able to fix whatever this
problem is, I can't blame him at all for this situation.  He's done a
excellent job supporting the myriad of ATA hardware out there, and it's
just unfortunate that things worked out the way they did.

(moderate sarcasm)

Let the second-guessing and "Tuesday morning quarterbacking" [1] begin...

Bruce.

[1]  For non-USAns, American football is frequently televised on Monday
nights.  This phrase refers to viewers' tendencies to show up for work
on Tuesday morning saying that their favorite team would have won if
only they'd done such-and-so thing differently.

--==_Exmh_904903628P

--==_Exmh_904903628P--