Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 18:09:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Lynch <lynch@cityisp.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opera, Linux Emulation, and the nasties...

> Yes it does. "Defectors" who buy binaries targeted for another platform
and
> run them under emulation will appear on the marketing radar screen as
> users of that other platform, making their own platform seem to have a
> smaller user base by comparison. And by eliminating themselves from the
> set of potential customers for a native port, they reduce the incentive
> to create one. They're undermining their own platform.
>
> Use of an emulator should be reserved for emergencies only.

 I run FreeBSD as my Desktop at home. I run FreeBSD only on Servers at
work.
I am stuck with NT until my new box comes in, my FreeBSD box was
cannabalised
during a corporate split( NT admins REALLY are A$$holes, no Joke...unlike
overly stressed Unix Admins, hehe)
 I always try the FreeBSD native port when I want something. I also will
try
the Linux port, dropping the developers a friendly reminder that their
particular product would run better on FreeBSD. I usually end the email
with
"it's Ok, everyone confuses Linux with FreeBSD."
  FreeBSD runs better, has a better file system ... we already covered
this, so everyone agrees.
 I also like Linux emulation. I want Real Player 7 to run on my box at
home.
Remember 5.0? that worked great.

 FreeBSD has been geared towards servers, and obviously it's nice desktop
capabilities are usually not conidered , which I think is the reason you
don't have native ports for lots of regularly updated apps.
Hell, half of the linux programs I actually have run better on my FreeBSD
box than on my Linux one. Linux eats my memory and my swap space quicker
than I can yawn thru this thread. : -)
 If you want to push FreeBSD as a an all around Server/Desktop, then by
all
means start. I've been successfully running it as a desktop for 2 years
and
, have noticed that each release it gets easier to setup which ever major
desktop you wish to try. ( such as during install... I haven't tried it,
still copy xinit over to my home directory and edit it)
 So, they want opera and I want real player  and media player. If I could
write it , I would. But, I can't. I'm not going to jump ship and give up
on
FreeBSD just because
company X can care less what happens to my favorite OS. Hell, I like
FreeBSD so much, it steared my towards actually wanting to be a sysdamin.
I went out and found a job that centers around it. My bosses also agree
that they wouldn't dream of replacing our FreeBSD servers with Linux or
Solaris boxes. FreeBSD is a f---ing work-horse. The only bad thing is it
is still in it's infancy, in which I mean that not alot of people have
heard of it. Other than that, I doubt anyone will defect. If they run from
FreeBSD because they can't play games, so what.

Later,
Chris