Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2021 18:11:02 +0200
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        rgrimes@freebsd.org, Jakob Alvermark <jakob@alvermark.net>, FreeBSD Developers <developers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: testers needed: loader: use display pixel density for font autoselection

<freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>>>=20
(hopefully better;), but my own ability to test is limited to one bugged =
supermicro and one MBP with retina display?
<https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849>;
and test with different resolutions.
physical dimensions from EDID), so there we fall back to try to get =
80x25 terminal method.
>>>=20
>>> I am having a hard time with that statement.  EDID is very common on =
laptop screens, infact I can not recall ever not seeing EDID on a =
laptops builtin screen.
>>> My 11" acer 1400 has EDID in it.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> If there is EDID, then it is all good. I have seen cases we do not =
get it with available API.
>=20
> Is there a way for me to know if the laoder found EDID data or not?
> It might be that the issue is that what ever loader is using for an =
API is not working.
> I based my "EDID is very common on laptop screens" on the fact that =
X11 almost always finds EDID.
>=20

Yes, gop get / vbe list   =E2=80=94 yes, it is inconsistent, should fix =
at some point=E2=80=A6 :)

we do use gop get active edid/get discovered edid protocol and vbe =
function 0x4f15.

rgds,
toomas=