Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:04:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        dan@langille.org
Subject:   Re: Any workarounds for Verisign .com/.net highjacking?

In message: <XFMail.20030916170025.jdp@polstra.com>
            John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com> writes:
: On 16-Sep-2003 M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > I think we should put a filter for this nonsense into the base
: > system.  Hack the resolve to filter out the adddress, and hack bind to
: > filter it out too.  that way we can leverage our position in the name
: > servers in the world to do something about this BS.
:
: I think so too, in principle.  But we need something better than a
: hard-coded IP address.  It would take Verisign about an hour to figure
: out they need to change the address frequently.  (Well, OK, a day ...
: it's Verisign, after all.)

Agreed.  but it wouldn't be too hard to determine at boot/hourly doing
a bogus query to find the address of the moment.  Even they would be
hard pressed to change things more than hourly.

Warner