Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:38:45 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Heat-death of the last of the 2-socket/2-cores-each PowerMac G5s that I have access to

On 2021-Jan-11, at 17:42, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The last of the 4-core PowerMac G5s that I have access to now shuts
> down for "CPU B0 DIODE TEMP" that "exceeds critical temperature
> (90.0 C)" when I try to rebuild/update ports or such. The other
> 4-core G5 failed for such reasons in similar contexts a few months
> ago.,Interestingly, the two G5s have very different liquid cooling
> systems despite the similar time frame for the failures.
>
> Without the faster G5s, I may just use cross-built world/kernel
> material and see if there is a tolerable but minimal set of ports
> for supporting boot testing/dump inspection and basic operation of
> the slower 2-socket/1-core-each and 1-socket/1-core-each PowerMacs
> that I have access to, avoid things like building devel/llvm*
> ports that take so long. (I have fairly strong time preferences.)

I've done some more testing and, while use as a (full load/speed)
builder machine is a no-go, it looks like this 4-core G5 can
still be used for boot testing and basic operation without
overheating. The prior failing machine overheated more easily
but might have a similar status if I test it just for such use.

How long the recently failed G5 will be useful for boot and basic
operation testing, I do not know. But probably longer than for
the originally-failing G5.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com