Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:42:00 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@angel.cids.org.za>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does IPX routing work? ... Of course. :-)

> > I only see one ethernet card configured, but there are 3 entries,
> > one for each for 802.3, Ethernet_II and Ethernet_SNAP.  Of the
> > 3, only the Ethernet_II entry shows a LAN address.
>
> Your novell server is configured to handle these 3 frame types, that
> means just about any Novell client can find the bugger...  your
> probably using Ethernet_SNAP to support Mac systems.
>
> To be fully functional your IPX router will need to deal with all
> 3 of these frame types.  As it stands now the only one supported is
> Ethernet_II.
>
> You could go around and start converting all the clients to Ethernet_II,
> which is not a bad idea in itself (makes for sniffing the network a lot
> easier :-)).

That is true. I'm lucky, I have convinced the people here to run only
ETHERNET_II in our building a long time ago. But then we don't have
any Mac's.

> If you can convert all the clients on the otherside of the router to
> be using Ethernet_II your will be up and running with the current code.
> This can easily be done for most current Novell clients (ODI and NDIS
> drivers), the other NetX stuff is not so easy, and if I remeber correctly
> you folks have all the sales systems running NetX.exe over packet drivers. :-(

If I remember correctly the packet drivers have a "-n" option to switch
from the default (for them) ETHERNET_II to 802.3. So you should only
need to take that out.

John
--
John Hay -- jhay@mikom.csir.co.za