Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:23:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        <alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Don't upgrade your Alphas!

> David O'Brien writes:
>  > On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 01:37:50PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>  > > So, I think that making it the default is probably the best.  As long
>  > > as somebody can turn it off with -mnoieee or something.
>  >
>  > Unfortnately, that is hard to do (turning it off). :-(
>  > Do I commit my patches if it means one cannot turn it off?

So how are you achieving this?  Are you changing makefiles in the
buildsystem?

How about tweaking the compiler so that the default semantics are reversed
and then change the flag -mieeee (or whatever it was -- can't remember) to
just be -noieee as suggested?

By just changing the compiler, we dont have to touch the rest of the
system, and people can still get the desired behavior fairly easily...

I dont know what changes we make already but I understand that there is
some customization to the compiler that is imported into the system.  So,
what is one more change?

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.