Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:55:11 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best NIC / Best CDR-CDRW

At 02:41 21.04.00 +0200, you wrote:
>Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de> wrote:
>
>> cards from Netgear (Bay Networks) and D-Link have good reputation for being
>> stable, and being not that expensive. Also Allied Telesyn did some good
>> cards (Have used some old ones with AMD chip on them-smooth operation).
>
>Not particular useful, as far as recommendations go. All of these
>vendors have sold cards based on a wide variety of different
>chipsets. For example, I'm fairly sure that...
Hi!

Well, yes, you're right, but those companies have some bang-for-buck ratio
that is quite good.
Also I should have made clear, that I also wanted to express that there is
also (mechanical) stability of a given card that is important.
So I only wanted to point into a certain direction, where one could have a
look for themselves, or perhaps pick up some used ones.

>> Realtek is only favorite when it comes to budget, due to being build into
>> el cheapo products, you get a higher RMA rate.
>
>... the Realtek card I just mentioned in another message bears an Allied
>Telesyn label.
ok, nobody is without failures -))
the ISA chipsets (8029) were quite reasonable, at least one can get them to
work without big hassle, and when they are up, they at least transfer
something...
The later ones 8039 (PCI 10 MBit) and 100MBit (IIRC 8139) are not that
troubleless...
And to compete with the market, those mid-ranged (pricewise) manufacturers
also need something in the very lower segment..

Because of the common need for cheap things, those _real cheap_
manufacturers that will sell everything, also need some pricy chipsets, and
Realtek seems to be one of the cheapest, $$wise. So for them, you get poor
mechanical quality, thus resulting in a high DOA/RMA rate.
Some better manufacturers like ATI, Netgearb etc may also use those
chipsets for budget cards, where performance is not the primary goal, but
their mechanical design is better.

Sorry when I did not made this clear.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)