Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:26:29 +0900
From:      Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, "Alexey M. Zelkin" <phantom@cris.net>, doc@freebsd.org, doc-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

Hi,

asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) wrote:
>  * If the sysadmin wants this as local policy they can enforce it with a
>  * symlink (possibly as a selectable option in doc/Makefile, to make the
>  * link automatically).
>
> The issue is not about local policy, Nik.  There are literally dozens
> of Japanese FreeBSD books and magazines out there that includes a
> variation of the first line up there as the command to read the
> handbook.  (I don't know about other countries but I suspect the
> situation is the same.)
>
> When people buy a book, install the latest system and find out it
> doesn't work, they get pissed.  And we (on the Japanese mailing lists)
> are the ones that hear about it.

I think this is the most important.  Any directory change confused
many FreeBSD users, so WE HAVE TO VERY VERY CAREFUL TO CHANGE
THE DEFAULT INSTALL DIRECTORY.

We agreed Nik's CVS-repository-move idea because he says the location
of documents never move.  If he said he want to move the directory
at the moment (before the CVS-repository-move were done), we never
agree his idea.

When the Japanese manual directory moved from
 /usr/(share|local|X11R6)/man/ja_JP.EUC to /usr/..../ja, many many
Japanese users are confused with this problem.  For another example,
the system configuration file were /etc/sysconfig at first, then
/etc/rc.conf, now /etc/default/rc.conf for the default values and
/etc/rc.conf for the user-defined values.  This change also confused
many FreeBSD users...

Of course, these changes were written in Release Notes, but FreeBSD
beginners think their FreeBSD books are correct.

# As the Release Notes exists in the electrical media such as Web,
# Beginners feels more difficulty to refer the Release Notes.

I think there were enough reason to change the location of system
configuration file.  But what about the doc directory change?
Is there enough reason to change?  I think not.  I have never heard
the opinion like "the location of FreeBSD handbook is bad.  please
move it" from FreeBSD users.  I have heard many suggestion like
"the location change confused me much.  please do not move again."