Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:17:04 +0800
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux JDK on FreeBSD (was Re: Alpha JDK 1.2.2 JPDA extension 1)

I thought this was interesting news, particularly in light of the quote
below:

    SAN FRANCISCO -- Developers using Sun Microsystems Inc.'s Java
    programming language will outnumber those using the C/C++ languages
    by next year, the findings of a series of studies conducted by
    Evans Data Corp. and released late Wednesday show.

    Presenting the firm's research findings at IBM's Solutions technical
    developers conference here on Wednesday afternoon, Janel Garvin,
    vice president of research at Evans, said that more than half of
    North American developers use Java today, with that number expected
    to rise by 10 percent next year.

    The research also shows that Java usage has been rising at the
    expense of Visual Basic and C/C++. "This means that, for the first
    time, more North American developers will be using Java than Visual
    Basic or C/C++ next year," Garvin said. "Java usage is even stronger
    outside North America, with almost 60 percent of developers expecting
    to spend some part of their programming time using Java."

    -- http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2804967,00.html