Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:02:39 -0800
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@bfoz.net>
To:        Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com>
Cc:        Clement Laforet <clement@FreeBSD.org>, apache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/apache21 update?

Paul Querna wrote:
> Unfortunately, FreeBSD still uses the Bundled APR/APR-Util for apache.
> It really needs to depend on an external APR/APR-Util port, and then it
> can share it properly with things like Subversion.  Most other packaging
> systems have gone down this path...

The new Makefile has a switch called WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS. I'm guessing that makes use of the external port. If I hadn't already installed it I would see what it does...maybe next time.

Of course, you have to know to look for that option. It would be more visible if the port made use of the options framework that I'm seeing in some of the other ports (does that functionality have a name?), but I wonder how many people would know or care either way.

Thanks