Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 98 17:38:36 -0400
From:      Timothy J Luoma <luomat+FreeBSD@luomat.peak.org>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CHAT <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ``Home of the Brave, Land of the FreeBSD''

> Even though I'm not a huge Apple fan anymore, it's nice to see
> them come back around like this.  :)

I've been a NeXTaholic since 1991 (I feel like I should have started this
with "Hello my name is Tim and I've been a NeXTaholic since 1991")

Andrew Stone (who wrote the article with the Open-/Free- BSD quote is a
longtime NeXTStep developer who has written a ton of great software
(http://www.stone.com).

I had a very interesting discussion the other day with another NeXTer.
Apple is dropping Intel support for Rhapsody, which I think is probably the
worse decision I've ever heard (the rationale being that people will now buy
Apple hardware and Apple will make more $$ from that).  That's the main
reason I'm now getting interested in FreeBSD.  I don't have a ton of money to
be throwing around for an OS+new hardware (esp Mac hardware which has always
been pricey).

Anyway, the interesting discussion centered around the fact that Rhapsody
will be based on BSD4.4 (whereas NeXTstep was 4.3-based).  The problem is
that there won't be source code, and with a Unix OS in today's Internet, you
need either 1) fast vendor patches to security holes in commercial Unixes or
2) source code to the OS.  My friend was saying that Apple doesn't care that
much about the underlying OS and wouldn't it be cool if they picked a Free
*nix to develop their GUI, etc around.

I thought it was a very cool idea.... despite the fact that it will never happen.

TjL