Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:53:30 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Mike Jeays <mj001@rogers.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On GCC

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> writes:
> > No, it is not. It's an apple with a poison pill inside:
> > Richard Stallman's vicious and destructive agenda.
>
> But anyone who cares knows where the pill is located and may eat the
> rest of the apple.  As true as your agenda crack is, we should not deny
> that there is a gift being granted; just not as much as we would like or
> as much as they lead people to believe.

Look, Brett:

If you want to actually *do* something to defend your agenda,
rather than complaining, you should select one of the BSD's,
and then work on the BSD and the TenDRA compiler, until the
TenDRA compiler can compile it.

Then become deeply involved in the TenDRA project, to ensure
that it continues to meet the needs of the people who will
then come out of the woodwork.

NetBSD probably has the best seperation of code to make this
possible; OpenBSD has the most sympathetic ear, with regard to
license arguments, and FreeBSD is the best bet, if you want to
ensure a populist adoption.

For my money, if it were my axe that I was grinding, I would
probably pursue OpenBSD: it'd be more work than NetBSD, but a
lot less work than FreeBSD, and you are most likely to find
fanatics with strong opinions in the OpenBSD camp, NetBSD camp,
and FreeBSD camp (in order of decreasing fanatacism).

Let me know when you pick a platform, and start work, and have
some dedicated net-connected resources, and at least one other
person besides yourself working on it, and I'll be willing to
help you turn it into a going project.

-- Terry