Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/37453: more suitable command-line in articles/releng/article.sgml

The following reply was made to PR docs/37453; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Cc: Hideyuki KURASHINA <rushani@bl.mmtr.or.jp>,
	bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:43:41 +0300

 --TA4f0niHM6tHt3xR

 On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:53:28AM -0700, Hiten Pandya wrote:
 > Hello,
 >=20
 > >Number:         37453
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       more suitable command-line in articles/releng/article.sg=
 ml
 >=20
 > > 'cvs up' seems to work as well as 'cvs update', but cvs(1) doesn't
 > > describe it. I think 'cvs update' is more suitable than 'cvs up' as an=
 =20
 > > article.
 >=20
 > If cvs(1) doesn't describe 'cvs up' properly, than I think it is the man =
 page
 > which needs the fix and not the article, afaik.  All we need to do francl=
 y,
 > is
 > to add the following line to the cvs(1) man page which explains the 'upda=
 te'
 > command:
 >=20
 > %%
 > Synonyms: up
 > %%
 >=20
 > P.S: IMHO

 While cvs(1) really does accept 'up' as a synonym of 'update',
 'up' is not documented either in the manual page, or in the info pages
 (the Hederqvist manual), or in the cvs --help-commands output, I still
 think that it would be a better idea to use the conventional 'update'.
 After all, 'update' is the action you want CVS to perform, right?
 'up' is not an action; 'up' is a direction; do you really want your
 sources to go 'up' - like, 'up in smoke', 'up in flames', 'up into
 the great blue yonder'? :)

 This is MHO, too :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --=20
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
 This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks=
  of your brain.

 --TA4f0niHM6tHt3xR

 --TA4f0niHM6tHt3xR--