Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:40:08 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

Hello/Beste David,

Monday, June 17, 2002, 10:48:25 PM, you wrote:

DWCJ> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:38:01AM -0500, John Prince wrote:
>> I have to say, I am a bit disappointed in the 4.6 release, as well as the
>> way problems have been identified, and swept under the carpet..

DWCJ> Why didn't you express these concerns for the past few months?

At the time i was tracking RELENG_4. Release 4.5 was just out. Not so
long after that the ata code from HEAD was introduced and one of my
server became unbootable. I then started several mails on question,
hackers and stable. Must be a total of 6 or so. Most ended in no
reply.

Others ended in that they had the problem to (witch is a response i
appreciate very much, since this lets me know i'm not alone) or that
i appeared to be on the wrong mailing list. (Could be because i slowly
start to understand where the problem lies.)

>> It appears the ATA code was MFC, and does not perform as one would expect..
>> In simpler terms, it does not work correctly.

DWCJ> We lose too much functionality to back out the MFC, the only known
DWCJ> problems that I know about are ATA tags which can be disabled.  Could
DWCJ> you please specify which problems you are talking about?

Is it a lot of work to be able to have the old ATA as a backup?

>> 4.6 release is "Broke" and will not work with many existing hardware
>> configurations.
>> 4.5 release worked..

DWCJ> Please explain which configurations are broke due to 4.6-RELEASE

Mine did.

A quote from Mike Tancsa i found to be very true.

--
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex