Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:36:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SPAM: Commercial support for FreeBSD

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> 2.  What support to offer.  The obvious choices are:
>
>     - first-level user support ("how do I attach an image to a mail
>       reply?")
>
>     - defect support ("My machine just said "panic: not enough foos"
>       and rebooted.  What do I do?").
>
>     - programming support ("I've just updated my Yoyodyne frobulator
>       to the new, improved YYD-64.  Can you write a driver for me,
>       please?")
>
>     - Education.

	A tier structured services list seems apropriate.  I remember
liking the way Cyngus had it broken down a few years ago.  Basically it
ranged from "we provide working binairies", "we'll fix that bug in x
weeks", "we'll fix that bug in x days" to "we'll add that requested
feature".

	Since the world is a bit more complex than when read up on
Cygnus' options, I think a few parallel tracks of support options would be
better.  I could see a guru being capable in all areas, but who's kidding
whom?  It is more likely that people want to specailize a bit in say the
WWW/FTP, mail/SMTP, intranet development, system administration, security,
etc. axes.

>     This is by no means an exhaustive list.

	Can it ever be exhaustive?  I guess the catch all guru consultants
would be the "star" team, whose motto would be "I specailize in *."

> 3.  What to charge.

	Obviously the fee should be more as the potential problem range
exapands.  How to adjust this for varying regions seems more the trick.
Where do you expect this company to be picking up it's clients?  The UK,
Europe, USA?

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,