Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:54:40 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers-digest@freebsd.org, dennis@etinc.com
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1436

E-mail message from Seppo Kallio contained:
> > From: dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
> > Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:00:17 -0400
> > Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)
> >
> > >E-mail message from Dennis contained:

> > >Shame that no one really cares about it.  All the people want to see is that
> > >it's so easy for newcommers.  Just like Windows.  In more than one aspect :)

Careful with attributions.  Dennis didn't say that; I did.

> How is Slackware so easy? Is there some difference. I think differences
> are very small. Here people use DOS h/w, not Apple hardware because ALL
> OTHER use DOS h/w, here people use Linux because ALL OTHERS use Linux.

Pech g'habt. (for a want of a better English idiom; sorry)

Slackware is easy for manual install (at leas was when I used it last time
about 2 years ago.)  OTOH, a manual install is something I do 0 times out
of 10.  Any 10.

Yes, you could switch some packages off (if you have found the correct
boot floppy) by hand editing configuration files (which weren't all in the
same place).

> I think tehre is nothing bad if people select easy systems. I should
> select Macintosh if I could, but when all others are using DOS h/w it is
> stupid to be alone

So, you're calling me stupid?  Thank you, likewise.

Jest aside, *easy* is a very subjective measure.  Easy windows install is
a nightmare for me because I can't easily push the config data from one
central machine all over *automatically*.  I have to edit the darn thing
by hand.  No scripts, see?  But it's easy if it's your own personal machine
because you don't have to learn any scripting.

These things make the difference in perceived easiness of an OS.

Inherently, there is nothing bad in using easy software, as long as it's
easy for your needs.  But claiming that something that's easy for you
must be easy for me is plainly evil <evil grin>.

And peer pressure is the worst means of influencing a decision.  What
did Emerson say about being a non conformist ...

/Marino