Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:01:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Phil <phil.addy@bradford.gov.uk>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/60252: Continuous re-installations for FreeBSD novices

>Number:         60252
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Continuous re-installations for FreeBSD novices
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Why not mention, prior to installation, that to get the sound card working you're gonna have to rebuild the whole kernel at some stage, and therefore you will have to install all the sources necessary to do this? Also, why not just add a couple of simple lines (such as device pcm) to the GENERIC kernel to try and pick up most of the common sound cards in order to avoid all this agony?
Most newcomers to FreeBSD (like me) will be put off, and annoyed, by finding out about things "after the event" as it where, simply because the documentation did not explain things clearly, simply or fully prior to installation. Hence, numerous re-installations as the next problem is found out about later on.
>How-To-Repeat:
Continue as current.
>Fix:
A sentence in the initial Standard Installation screen, or in the "canned" packages selection help screen during installation.