Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:01:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        kmays@email.msn.com (kmays)
Cc:        oberman@es.net, jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com, Bob.Boone@whro.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.5 now available . . . . .

As I recall, kmays wrote:
> My one issue is that its hard to tell what patch level or build anyone
> is on when they report bugs or issues.  That might be an idea.  If
> somebody was mentioning issues with a build, they could type a command
> like 'verbuild' and it would display "FreeBSD v3.5, b062700p13" or
> something like that.

I suggested something like that about two years ago.

I wanted a slight change to CVS commit such that
/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh were a dynamic file that reflected the last
commit made to the particular branch.  Then the output of a
"uname -r" could absolutely identify where in the continuum of
updates a particular system was fetched.  I also suggested that the
hack to support this could be in cvsup, if touching CVS was too
sacred.

It was generally argued against.  Check the archives if you'd like
to examine the whole thread.  Typical arguments pointed out that
the user could cvsup just the kernel sources, which would not
accurately reflect what he's running.  Same argument for building
user-land without building a kernel.

But I still think the idea has merit.  There should be some way of
unequivocally stating "I'm running <foo>, and stuff is broken since
when I was running <bar>".  This "I'm running -stable, cvsup'd
sometime early in June" just doesn't cut it when trying to track
down the source of a breakage.

Wanna resurrect the flame wars?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net