Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2016 09:23:54 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: borderline OT fireox question

On 07/14/16 05:07, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 08:37:44 +0200, Daniƫl de Kok wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:14:26PM +0000, William A. Mahaffey III
>> wrote:
>>> OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past &
>>> current searches ?
> I don't know, but it's deleted if I delete everything, e.g. cookies and
> cache, but keep browsing and download history. Btw. I only tested this
> after your request, I don't use this search thingy maself, I'm old
> school and open a search engine by address bar or speed dial. I also
> replaced Firefox with IceCat (another fork is Pale Moon), but my
> favourite replacement is QupZilla, it's not really a fork, but very
> close to Firefox and based on WebKit, so it never slows down as Firefox
> and it's forks do. However, regarding privacy the forks are better than
> Firefox is. If you want to ensure that Firefox doesn't "phone home"
> after e.g. editing about:config, launch Firefox and Wireshark only ;)
> and repeat it after a week, two weeks ... ;).

I do exactly that, have cron eliminate cookies & cache from .mozilla
nightly, leave browsing history.

I find the following:

[root@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:32am] 492 % grep -i icecat LIST.available.txt
[root@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:41am] 493 % grep -i palemoon LIST.available.txt
[root@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:43am] 494 % grep -i qupzill LIST.available.txt
qupzilla-qt4-1.8.9
qupzilla-qt5-1.8.9
[root@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:45am] 495 % grep -i wireshark LIST.available.txt
wireshark-2.0.3
wireshark-lite-2.0.3
wireshark-qt5-2.0.3
[root@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:48am] 496 % uname -a
FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p33 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p33 #0: Wed
Jan 13 17:55:39 UTC 2016
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[root@kabini1, /etc, 9:17:51am] 497 % grep -i wireshark LIST.installed.txt
wireshark-2.0.3                Powerful network analyzer/capture tool
[root@kabini1, /etc, 9:18:40am] 498 %

i.e. no IceCat or PaleMoon pkg'ed up for FreeBSD 9.3R. Which QupZilla
would I install, any idea ?

Also, could you elaborate on that 'launch FireFox & WireShark only' ?
What am I doing there ? Thanks & TIA