Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2019 20:16:27 +0100
From:      Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speculative: Rust for base system components

Julian H. Stacey wrote in <201901011704.x01H44OS090017@fire.js.berklix.net>:
 |I'm against rust being imported into src/, wasting hard bought
 |space & build time. Src/ is still too big, (& obj/ monstrous compared
 |to old days (clang I spose, shrug)), even though we've suffered
 |much disruption, things being ripped out of src/ supposedly to save
 |[sometime little] space.  Let's not squander that hard bought space & time.

And not to forget the base system as such.
Just last week (or the end of the week before that) i have tried
to use the address sanitizer on a freshly installed 11.2 i386
FreeBSD.  No (result unbelievable).

Because of my very limited download budget i had to choose what
i could download next to get a working installation, and have
chosen to go for ArchLinux (even though i never had a workign
memory sanitizers there, but address sanitizer i have used there
many times) December/2018 and do the upgrade with
all the stuff (still one GB+).  I was right (in that it was not my
fault).

--steffen