Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:45:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: PCVT's death

Snob Art Genre wrote:

> > Exactly, I dont know where all this hysteria came from...
>
> It came from confusion between "dead" as in "dead in the water" and
> "dead" as in "ready to be carted off and buried".
>
> You apparently meant the former, and some people thought you meant the
> latter.  No mystery here.

No mystery, exactly.

This understanding was even strengthened by a discussion style of "Mine
is for shure longer than yours. And hey, _i_ am the core member".

How much more politely and more core-team-member behaving would it have been
to just ask: "Hey Hellmuth, don't you think its time to update pcvt and
better integrate into FreeBSD ?". He would have gotten the answer, "shure
i know its time for doing something on pcvt, but not right now - you know
i'm working on that ISDN driver all the time - and when that stabilizes, i
hope to find time to work on pcvt a bit more, ok ?"

Instead it was communicated "Syscons is THE console driver. I'm a core team
member. I don't care if pcvt just runs, i want to get rid of this trash. End
of discussion".

If you were the author of pcvt and really need it, you wouldn't have liked
this too.

And unfortunately my discussion style is not the best. I'm sorry for that.

Sigh,
hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
  A duck is like a bicycle because they both have two wheels except the duck