Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:10:34 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        James Pole <james.pole@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix CPUs, was: Re: Repeatable crash from nautilus2

James Pole wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 18:48, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > James Pole wrote:
> > > I think the fact Cyrix isn't very popular these days
> >
> > Ain't the VIA C3-CPUs everyone wants likes so much CYRIX-Technology, too?
>
> They have less than one percent of the market. I have, personally, never
> seen a Cyrix/VIA-powered computer over the past few years.

I saw lots of them up until February of this year, when I was no longer
making itty bitty routers.  They're quite common in small embedded boxes
meant for broadband routers, etc.  OpenBSD seems to run fine on them.  ;^)

> Looking at
> benchmark scores, Cyrix is always near the bottom. Even a Celeron at
> could probably beat a C3 processor at twice the clock speed....

Maybe so, but when you want a 1" x 4" x 6" box with 2x 100Base-TX and
no fan, they seem to work pretty well.

> Everyone I know uses either Intel or AMD processors. Intel/AMD combined
> probably have around 90~95% of the market, with Cyrix, Transmeta,
> PowerPC, SPARC and other RISC processors battling for the rest.

Perhaps in your desktop world.  All Pentium-class cpus combined equals
about 1% of the 32 bit processor market by unit count.  Don't take my
word for it, read the year-end roundup in the Microprocessor Report.
It's probably dropping now, but for several years the NEC Vr4300 was
outselling all Pentium chips combined about 40 to 1.

> I've seem more Apples than Cyrixs, and that says a lot...

Perhaps you haven't been looking in the right places?  Check under the
hood of your cable modem...