Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:42:17 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SANE, USB, -current step 2

> [brian@litzinger.com wrote]:
> > > Now does anyone have a primer on using the ugen device to talk to the
> > > device?
>
> > > Perhaps /dev/ugen0 is dynamically created and I can talk serially to the
> > > device via read/write?
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 03:29:46PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Dream on.   8)
>
> At some level isn't it a generic serial bus?  Can't anyone ever do
> anything in an easy and straight forward manner?

No.  No.

> Shouldn't I be able to bypass the HID/Class stuff and talk directly
> to the device regardless of the hideously horrible manufacturer
> specific protocol it may speak?

"Should?", perhaps.  But you can't, so stop whining.  8)

> Then I could add the HID/Class stuff later.  I promise. ;-)

Yeah, right.  8)

Seriously, USB and its protocols have some fairly good reasons for
existing, and making whiny compromises like you're proposing impossible
is one of them.  Most hardware vendors wouldn't make the promise you're
making, and thus the protocols make cheating very difficult.