Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        root@hammerfell.dhs.org (Charlie ROOT), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Congrats!

According to Kent Stewart:

> Gary Kline wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> I don't see any point to it. I also like 4.1 much better than 3.x. I'm
> one of the people that tried the cvsup route to upgrade to 4.0R and
> failed; however, a couple of weeks later someone else had the same
> problem I did and, at that point, we understood what I had done wrong.
> They corrected what they were doing and it worked. By then, Warner had
> upgraded /usr/src/UPDATING to make it more clear about creating a new
> kernel config file from GENERIC and to use either GENERIC or your
> edited version of it in the make build(install)kernel sequence.
> MYKERNEL had to be an existing file. DUH! :)

	The only point I can think of to go 3.2 -> 3.5 to 4.1
	would be to avoid the white-knuckles:) of having to follow
	Annelise A's instructions absolutely-precisely.

	Actually, I made a typo while following along and that cost
	me an extra night + 6 more hours of reinstalling 3.2 and
	then going back and following her instructions.  So my first
	attempt failed.  But since I really had nothing to lose....

> The big shock is how much longer a buildworld takes. It is close to 2x
> a make of 3.x. If you have access to a decent network, download the
> iso and you can do a binary upgrade. It has far less trouble. Sooner
> or later, you have to do a build world and the question is when are
> you going to do it. The only tricky problem is proceeding through some
> of the modules. You are really bootstraping your way up and can have
> problems. Herr Engelschall on 3 August had a pretty complete write up
> on the problems they had upgrading a number of systems from 3.5S to
> 4.1S. Check the stable archive for "[PROCEDURE] Successful 3.5-S to
> 4.1-S upgrade", which I don't think is limited to 3.5.

	Thanks for the pointer.  I'll find, printout and study before
	I do anything.  --This time I think I'll make two full backups.

> Did you solve your subscription problem. One of the recent problems
> was a badly placed email filter. You don't know it is badly placed
> until later but that was the problem. The confirmation messages were
> being forwarded to the bit-bucket. I could submit his text and would
> get a message from the majordomo that a request was being sent to
> their email address. I could also send their text minus the email
> address and subscribe but they couldn't. That made the problem a local
> one to their end but finding it was a little bit more work.

	This last time I re-sub'd there was no return blurb about my
	having to be approved because -stable was a private group.
	So it simply worked after I returned the confirmation.  --I
	haven't re-sub'd to ports yet.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix