Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 1996 00:18:10 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        dg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

Richard Wackerbarth wrote in message ID
<v02140b0cae53ed7d1adc@[208.2.87.4]>:
> Since you, collectively, are unwilling to accept anything that an outsider
> does unless it is a completely implemented, tested and documented package,
> you will never, IMHO, solve the fundamental structural problems of your
> approach nor realize the values that can be reached in incremental steps.

Richard,

We do accept packages that are not completely tested or documented,
but they have to EXIST first! We cannot commit vapourware to the CVS
tree (despite the fact Microsoft seem to do it regularly).

I think that there is this problem here. You say we don't accept your
solutions to problem `x'. For everyone else in the universe, to date,
to accept their solution to `x' we ask for code as we can discuss
theory until we are blue in the face (and often do), but working code
(or even semi-working code) is all that really matters to a voluntary
project like ourselves.

I think maybe if you had a track record of producing good results, we
would accept proposed solution and give you the reins, but (to my
memory at least) you are still a relative unknown. So there is (in my
mind at least) a confidence level yet to be attained for us to accept
this sort of solution.

Gary