Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:47:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, mark@grondar.za, donegan@quick.net, scrappy@hub.org, dcs@newsguy.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Postfix is coming. new uid, gid required.

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > >   can a company take FreeBSD, including exim, make modifications and
> > >   sell the result.  several companies to this.  the gnat box, nokia,
> > >   whistle and others.
> >
> > They seem to have, seeing as we already HAVE GPL software included in the
> > base distribution. Maybe you should ask Julian Elischer :)
>
> Brian, perhaps instead of flooding my mailbox with your ramblings you could:
>
> 1) Wait a couple of years and manage a few lists of this volume like our
> friend Jonathan has.
>
> 2) Perform a 2 year (hell 5 year) study on the various mailers, it'll keep
> you busy, trust me.
>
> 3) Realize that exim isn't bundled with any system and would be a big step
> backwards in making FreeBSD a choice for a homeogenous shop and that it's
> in the ports if you need it.

That's not the point. Exim is an example of yet another widely used MTA
that could potentially be bundled with an OS. Postfix was the first example.
The point to be shown is that even with Postfix in the tree, people will
STILL use what they prefer, and for a lot of people that will be exim;
for many people it will still be sendmail. Postfix should be a _port_, and
sendmail should stay in the distribution. You forget that on a set of FreeBSD
CDs, the ports, in the form of packages, are all right there. Anyone with
half a brain during installation could check off which extra MTA to install,
disable sendmail, and enable <insert MTA here>. Ports, my friend, are the
solution, not to clutter FreeBSD's base.

> 4) Realize that there is news that several commercial Unix vendors are
> quite possibly moving to Postfix.  It would be to FreeBSD's advantage
> to roll with them into this.

This advantage can be realized by the ports and packages. Sendmail is more
than just a tradition of BSD, it's what people _know_ and _use_.

> And I really wish everyone would realize that jmb is only adding postfix,
> HE IS NOT REMOVING SENDMAIL.  All you m4 freaks settle down a bit,
> get off his back, and step out of the way of progress, thanks. :)

Adding another MTA while not removing the 'old' is pointless clutter.

> -Alfred "my MTA is netcat" Perlstein
>

> >  Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___
> >  green@unixhelp.org				      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
> > 		      http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |