Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:07:00 GMT
From:      "J. Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   optimizations for P4?

Didn't see a thread specifically about this in search of mailing lists, so
I thought I'd ask.

Am eyeballing the forthcoming P4 motherboards based on the VIA DDR chipset.
My question:
Given the many advancements over the P6 cores we're accustomed to, are
there any compiler optimizations I can use when building world that will
allow a reasonably full expression of the processor's potential?

I ask because many early P4 benchmarks showed a distinct tendency for the
P4 to do better when applications were compiled specifically for it. (See
the controversy among several hardware site content providers on audio
encoding a few months back.) I expect that the P4 will work with no trouble
under a gcc buildworld, but will it be using those famous double-pumped
ALUs (etc.) as well as it could? If not, I may as well go with AMD or
PIIIs...

Thx,