Date:      Fri, 3 Jun 2011 23:07:11 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: llimport(8): Import lastlog into utmpx

--NQFQLHPkFLmdEfVA

Hi Doug,

* Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, 20110603 22:57:
> FWIW I'm not enthusiastic about either option. I definitely don't
> think an rc.d script is desirable, since it would be run at every
> boot for what (if I understand it correctly) is a one-time thing.
> More or less the same argument applies to adding this to mergemaster.

True. I just looked at mergemaster, but adding it to mergemaster could
be unreliable. Say, you're running mergemaster on a different destdir,
it would call llimport from the host system, meaning it uses the user
database (and byte order) of the host, instead of the target.

> In my mind the best way to handle this would be to add it to tools/
> and let users who need it access it that way. But perhaps I'm missing
> something?

I could do that as well, but the reason why I picked the current
approach, is because I don't want to cause people to get confused when
they upgrade to 9.0, to discover that their lastlog database is
`missing'.

Groetjes,
--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>