Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 00:10:05 GMT
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/149762: volume labels with rogue characters

The following reply was made to PR kern/149762; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: walter@pelissero.de
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:04:40 -0400

 This is a hack, something that you would commonly find in Linux code and
 is neither a proper or viable workaround for the naming of labels.

 Instead, using glabel(8) the admin/user can create a local label to
 FreeBSD that does not change the original nor does it carry over to any
 other OS that does not understand geom_label's.

 From the manual page:

 label  Set up a label name for the given provider.  This is the
        ``automatic'' method, where metadata is stored in a provider's
        last sector.  The kernel module geom_label.ko will be loaded if
        it is not loaded already.

 Stripping characters no matter what they are with a sysctl is overkill
 and does not scale well, all the while - presenting false information to
 the user. I would highly advise against this. If the user does not like
 the label that appears in msdosfs/{LABEL} then they are free to change
 that at their own will. I see presenting the label as it is to the user
 ``important''. Lets not try to prevent a foot shooting but instead
 document the case in the manual. Also if they are using FreeBSD and they
 are also adding a mount-point to fstab(5) for a geom_label then
 intelligence lurks within.

 Regards,

 --

  jhell,v