Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 1996 20:32:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/include utmp.h

As [?KOI8-R?] wrote:

> > Personally, I'm in favour of a migratory program even if only for wtmp
> > conversion since some of us use the accumulated data for customer
> > accounting,
>
> If we plan to add new fields like hostid, even no migratory program
> is possible. Best migratory program is

No.  You can always fill the fields that were not present previously
with blanks or nul's.  But at least you won't lose the history then.

> cp /dev/null /var/log/wtmp

That's unacceptable.  Maybe you could do it in a L*** distribution :),
but not in FreeBSD.  True multiuser sites (like ISPs) might be very
eager in keeping the old login history, even for years back.

The migratory program is not a big deal at all, the bigger problem is
indeed to once and finally start a True upgrade strategy.  By now it's
merely patchwork what we've got...

--
cheers, J"org