Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:20:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        phk@freebsd.org, jdp@polstra.com
Subject:   Re: misc/355: policy on /usr/local permission in base release

  phk> I think this one has been overtaken by events, in particular
  phk> the existence of the ports-collection makes this somewhat surreal...

Actually this is one of the few reasons I almost completely avoid the standard
packages, because of what they do to my /usr/local, which I've maintained on
many platforms according to my own policies for a decade and a half.

I maintain a one-line patch to BSD.usr.dist and generally never install
packages (until now the exception being linux_base, which doesn't touch
/usr/local).

I just got bitten by this policy conflict by (dumbly) installing the cvsup
port (I guess I must have just untarred the bits I needed from previous
versions), and my /usr/local permissions are hosed once again.  :-(

It sure makes a big difference to me being able to install things like
netscape into /usr/local without having to trust random install scripts
to run as root.

If only FreeBSD "vendor" packages had installed to /usr/pkg or /usr/opt...

Since this isn't likely to go away, I guess it's finally time for me to pick
up and move all my own stuff out of its rightful place, /usr/local, and hope
that I don't meet a third party binary which insists on installing there.
(Thankfully I already use /usr/gnu for much local software, and /usr/<vendor>
for proprietary packages.)

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses