Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:22:24 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@FreeBSD.org>
To:        martes <martes@mgwigglesworth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spamassassin anyone???

On Apr 25, 2009, at 12:59 PM, martes wrote:

> Sorry if this seems like a blinded assumption, however, whenever
> someone asks
> about the origin of explicit spam, such as the anti-semetic stuff
> that was
> posting to the list from an obviously mangled header source, someone
> always
> brings up that the lists are not proctared, as if there is not any
> management
> at all, and such obvious garbage is just going to post due to lack of
> supervision, or spam protocals...

The FreeBSD mail hubs drop an incredible amount of spam.  I don't know
what the percentage of spam is that makes it through, but it's really
really low.  Yes, there are some that get through that seem pretty
obvious to a human, unfortunately we don't have any humans to sit and
sift through the thousands and thousands of emails that hit the mx
hosts every day.

No anti spam system is perfect, you make choices that affect how much
spam gets through, versus how much legitimate mail gets dropped.  The
ratio of spam to legitimate mail that makes it through is probably in
the hundreth of a percent range.

Instead of complaining, or saying completely asinine things like
"there is no anti spam on the lists" maybe send a thank you to
postmaster@ that the lists are as usable as they are.

How hard is it to just hit delete?

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel