Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 20:06:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install issues (was: State of the union speech

It seems that Bruce Evans said:
> UMSDOS is apparently a mixed blessing.  It is much slower than ext2fs, and
> people tend to keep using it and wonder why Linux is so slow.

That's a newbie problem, not a technical one :-)

> We could do demos using a big file mapped by the vn driver to a virtual
> disk containing slices and partitions, but the file systems would be
> very slow (even if the DOS file is contiguous, msdosfs doesn't support
> clustering so it would do i/o's in too-small sizes).

DOS file system's speed is something we  cannot do much about, remember the
goal of an  UMSDOS clone... It   is not to  have it  as a  primary FS, just
showing Linuxers they're not the only one with it :-)

I'm sure it would  appeal to many people.  If they stay  with it after  the
"trial"  period,  noone can do  much about  it  except keep  on saying they
shouldn't... Education  and knowledge is the  primary problem with newbies,
whether they run Linux or FreeBSD.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
      FreeBSD keltia 2.2-CURRENT #15: Sun Aug 13 17:24:47 MET DST 1995