Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2014 20:02:52 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Hi Craig,

On 08/15/14 12:01, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> One complaint I have about the FreeBSD project, is that the core
> project contributors and developers rely too much on
> e-mail for communication.  This certainly works, and I use it too, but
> new and casual users getting into FreeBSD
> may get lost in the maze of FreeBSD mailing lists.  It would be nice
> if more of the core project contributors
> used the web forums ( http://forums.freebsd.org ), since stuff like
> that shows up nicely in web searches, and it is easier
> for newcomers to find stuff, and jump in and contribute to threads,
> versus mailing lists.

All true, but some of us geezers have an aversion to our content
existing off our own systems.  I really like having local copies of
the content I find important, and that's hard to do with a web forum.
With thunderbird, I just star the message, and it hangs around as long
as I want it (assuming I've got bounded retention policies in place on
that folder).

It would be a complete delusion to expect new users to set up the mail
system(s) I have in place, because chicken|egg? how would they know
how to install a postfix-spamassassin-dovecot-sieve-thunderbird-emacs
message flow?  Not going to happen.

But I *really* love my setup, and I guess I'm going to die with
something similar to what I have now.

However, I would like to help with static docs if I can.  poudriere +
pkg + zfs ssd + 8 core system was a bit of an effort to configure and
tune.  Then I had to figure out the remote access business, working
through some issues. But I am *delighted* to have nightly updated
binary packages just like debian.  I am closing in on 900 ports
maintained by poudriere, counting implied dependencies.  It all works
perfectly so far.  I knew I wanted to escape systemd, and I knew I
wanted to live in the zfs world, but I had no idea that I'd really
love living in the pkg + poudriere world.

I just remembered I have a zfs story that saved me lots of time.  I
have a bunch of used 300GB drives that are plenty fast enough for the
root fs.  So I worked through the zfs root on mirrored drives posts,
and got it up and running, easily enough.  And then guess what?  One
of those root drives failed.  After figuring out which one (trial and
error), I put a matching new (old) drive in the slot.  Booted up, and
voila!  Mirrored again.  That was hot.  I'm a zfs man (person) now.

Best,
Russell